Re: [opensuse-project] First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
On Saturday, March 19, 2011 07:38:13 PM Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Ricardo Chung wrote:
Conclusion:

YY.MM-mm

YY= two digits for the year. i.e. 2012=12
MM= two digits for the month. i.e. November=11
mm=romanized small letter for the month it ends for security updates
support. i.e. May=v

How do you suggest to handle the case where the duration of security
updates changes past release?

Gerald

Gerald,

Thank you for your question.

I am Not completely sure I understood your question but here is my answer to
what I undestood. Hope is the right interpretation and a good answer for your
question.

Well, if we know before hand the duration of security updates we can stick to
above formula YY.MM-mm.

If we are going to make an extended security updates for a past release
(i.e.11.1 Evergreen) and make a downloadable iso we should add something like
this: YY.MM.xTmm . (i.e. 11.1.xTviii) Where "xT" would mean "extended support"
and romanized lower case ( August=viii) would be the month the extended
security updates will end. We would have all important information available
at the sight.

Best,
--
Ricardo Chung | openSUSE Linux Ambassador
Panama

openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.6.00 release 6 |
Mesa 3D-Nouveau Gallium 7.10 video drivers