Re: [opensuse-project] Re: First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
On 3/16/11 2:45 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:07:55 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

IOW, I think the discussion we're having at this stage is the wrong
one.
I don't think so, we're discussing each and every time when to go to
12.0 and find no solution for it. Instead we make our distribution
worth since we don't feel it's good enough to be a new major release.

But we do not have a major release like that anymore, all releases
are equally major - or equally minor ;) - and therefore let's find an
algorithmic way to define this. If you have another easy algorithm,
I'd like to hear it even if voting has already started...
Arguably, I did say maybe it's a semantic difference. ;-)

If we look backwards, what distinguished 10.0 from 9.3? Or the last
of the 8.x releases from 9.0?
I think 7 to 8 meant we stopped building for i486. I think that was
also the change from kernel 2.4 to 2.6. We also added YaST2 (the GUI
vs the curses interface) at some point, although I don't remember when.
Somewhere between 8 and 10 we dropped the publishing of CD and went
DVD-only.

My first SuSE install was 8.3. I think it was still on the 2.4 kernel, but it did have YaST2. IIRC 2.6 kernel came along in 9.x or 10.x.

Jim F