Re: [opensuse-project] Re: First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
  • From: Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:26:30 +1100
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From a marketing/press standpoint, there's definitely an implied
"major/minor" with our current versioning standard.

I hadn't realized that this was so much the case, but on reflection it
makes a lot of sense, particularly in light of your following comments

The same problem goes for press reviews.  Unless they take the time to
understand that 11.3 is a new version rather than an updated version,
they seem less inclined to write about us.

 We want each new release to be viewed objectively by
all parties, not with baggage.
<snip>

 It adds overhead for us to
dispel misperceptions and myths

This is valid. Word counts are increasingly short, and readers are
increasingly impatient. The version number is part of the distribution
name and does need to be clear and relevant.