Re: [opensuse-project] Re: First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 07:42:54 PM Jim Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:02:14 +0100, jdd wrote:
Le 15/03/2011 17:56, Jim Henderson a écrit :
Same here, I don't see a compelling reason to change, maybe just a
compelling reason to define what constitutes a major version number
increase.

you see... even you don't see that there are no major/minor
difference...

Well, no, that's not what I was saying, I was saying that for a
discussion about versioning the topic shouldn't really be "what scheme
should we use" but rather "what constitutes a large enough difference
between two releases to instead of going from 11.3 to 11.4 make it a
change from 11.3 to 12.0".

IOW, I think the discussion we're having at this stage is the wrong one.

I don't think so, we're discussing each and every time when to go to 12.0
and find no solution for it. Instead we make our distribution worth since
we don't feel it's good enough to be a new major release.

But we do not have a major release like that anymore, all releases are
equally major - or equally minor ;) - and therefore let's find an
algorithmic way to define this. If you have another easy algorithm, I'd
like to hear it even if voting has already started...

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE,  aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Why is the name an issue now? We got this long, now almost after 12
years we want to change the way of doing. I don't get it.

--
(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.