[opensuse-project] Re: First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:22:52 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:02:13 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:29:34 -0400, Chuck Payne wrote:

Me too, though I wish we just keep numbering, it is a part of name,
like me change my last name from Payne to Smith.

Same here, I don't see a compelling reason to change, maybe just a
compelling reason to define what constitutes a major version number
increase.

One compelling reason to change is that our current numbering scheme
doesn't match what we do - i.e. we have no major.minor release scheme.

One might argue that we have a scheme, we don't have something that
differentiates between major and minor releases. ie, we have a scheme
(major.minor), but it lacks definitions of what constitute a major or
minor release.

But that might just be semantics. :-)

You do bring up something I hadn't considered in my earlier comment,
though - thanks for that. :-)

Jim

--
Jim Henderson