Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Crazy idea - use bugzilla metrics to gauge quality?
  • From: Kostas Koudaras <warlordfff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:52:00 +0200
2011/3/14 Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:59:20 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

On opensuse-factory, Marco Calistri wrote:

P.S. Too many bug reports, perhaps should be better awaiting a bit
more for a GM release.

Let me throw in a crazy idea - could we use bugzilla metrics to gauge
the quality of an upcoming release?  Could we perhaps even use them to
delay if the numbers don't meet our requirements?

Forgot to mention - we might use the same numbers to gauge the amount of
testing, i.e. "delay release or drum up more testing" if the numbers
aren't right.

I think of it as a great idea too

My initial thought is that it's not a bad idea, but one can get an
inaccurate picture of the product quality if the reasons why bugs aren't
being filed are not known.

For example, if on release 1 we have 100 bugs and 89 of them are
resolved, then that's a resolution rate of 89%.

If on release 2, we only have 20 bugs reported and all 20 are resolved
(resolution rate of 100%), does that mean it's a higher quality release,
or does it mean that people didn't submit bugs (for whatever reason), or
does it mean that the initial release quality was so high there weren't
actually that many problems?

To be a useful metric, there has to be some context around the numbers.

I am probably not the one who will give a solution to that but I would
recommend something like(based in your example):
89% solution on 100 problems
100% solution on 20 problems
So that the people can have a wider image of the whole situation and
quality of it.
It reminds me a bit the torrent seeds and peers situation...

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson

Just a thought