Re: [opensuse-project] Looking for sponsors.
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 04:40:07 +0000
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is answer to
Archive message number 9529.

Investors would be nicer than just 'sponsors'... Besides it sounds far
more attractive... If you are looking for an idea... Run a pool on how
many people are using with Linux those USB pens for mobile
connectivity and ring some bells... Vodafone would be awesome.

Just an idea... good luck.

NM

Interesting idea.

Once the foundation is established, I expect there will be some
serious formal discussion on fund-raising methods. One key area will
be the Shop - I think quality product and a good international
delivery system will see many users keen to get openSUSE gear!

Sponsorship seems to me to have different connotations to being an
Investor, and being an investor implies an expectation of return.

Helen,

I believe the principle is quite simple... there's always a 'costs vs
benefits' relation, even in sponsoring. Either by visibility, social,
financial, taxes, etc... there is usually a benefit. You can look
good amongst a given audience, you can gain visibility, you can give
some strategical advantage to your sponsors (investors), etc...

The position of openSUSE also as a downstreamer might enable us to
have a wider set of options... One quick out of the box example... the
ISO19001 certification process and some of heavy/light weights of the
industry. For example, could we launch a 'hardware recycling'
campaign? Would it be something _attractive_ to potential investors
(ex: hardware recyclers and hardware manufacturers)? Do we have
audience to launch such campaign (ex: hardware recycling)? How could
investing in such campaigns bring benefits to a friendly company which
is being/renewing certification for ISO19001? And most important of
all, how much could we squeeze off them for it ? :)

This is a way out of the box example, but is it that unrealistic?

(I
think there was a related thread on this somewhere: with some types of
donation, the money is free to be used as we see fit; other forms of
donation allow the donor/sponsor to dictate terms).

That's kinda political of course, not really my fight. Of course that
as a potential donner/investor, I can always choosed if I want to
donate it or not under your terms. It's like a trade, both sides have
to actually accept it and at some point have some advantage from it.
If you are not attractive, no trade, no donation.

There will also be ethical considerations: it's critical that any
sponsors are appropriate to an open source project and won't create
conflicts due business practices, political or religious affiliations.

Ethical considerations are pretty much something we deal everyday.
Whenever you address either an international community or minorities,
all of this concerns should've been already handled by Marketing. Not
really my fight also.

cheers,

Helen

--
IRC: helen_au
helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Nelson Marques

/* As cicatrizes lembram-nos de onde estivemos, mas não ditam para onde vamos */