On Friday, March 11, 2011 01:19:44 PM Kim Leyendecker wrote:
Am 11.03.2011 17:40, schrieb Ricardo Chung:
Beside the numerical reference we could use people names who made some
contribution for Information Technologies (software, networks,
algorithms, communications, security,etc) So we can honor their merits
and made them visibles. Nobody did that before and openSUSE would be the
first.

The only drawback is the flames about who is who. We can name it without
regards how much contribution that person made. It is not a competition
just a way to recognize our anonymous contributors.

Do you mean we do something like "openSUSE x.y Ricarde Chung" or
"openSUSE x.y Jos Portvliet (hope this is the right pronounciation....)"
or something like "openSUSE x.y Steve Jobs" or "openSUSE x.y Linus
Torvalds"?

Well, something like that. Not openSUSE x.y. Ricardo Chung but YES to openSUSE
x.y Torvalds, openSUSE x.y. Andreessen, openSUSE x.y Zennstrom, openSUSE x.y
Oikarinen, openSUSE x.y Van Rossum

Those people are alive and we only should use their last name as tribute not
to make them feel any embarrassment

Remember is not a mumbering replacement (whatever we do adopt). It is
just an add-on to recognize those people who made a contribution and
changed the way we interact with our machines or communications devices.

This is important! Versionnumbers have practical value and these names
will underline the values....

What do you think ?

A really good idea!

thanks
Wellcome and thank you for answering.

--
Ricardo Chung | openSUSE Linux Ambassador
Panama

Testing: openSUSE 11.4 RC 2 | KDE 4.6.00 release 6 |
Mesa-Nouveau 3D Gallium 7.10