  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:30:00 +0100
Refilwe Seete wrote:

Numbering a release 2011.03 provides the reader with useful, accurate
information...In this case when it was released.

Or the release# of that year.

Conversely, naming it openSUSE 11.4 seems to provide useful
information but that information is not accurate. The number implies
the fourth update of major version 11.0.

Only if you (wrongly) assume that we have a major.minor versioning
scheme. If you are aware that that is not the case, "11.4" will imply
the fourth update of major version 11.0.

Although I understand the need to be a distinct distro, I don't see
why we should continue with a confusing numbering system to do so.

Certainly our community, development philosophy, unique tools, and
brand are enough to keep openSUSE distinct.

No, not to the end-user we are targetting. Apart from the brand, none
of that is important to the end-user. Not even the technically savvy.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.8°C)