On Friday 11 March 2011 14:27:59 Kim Leyendecker wrote:
Am 11.03.2011 20:25, schrieb Refilwe Seete:
Similarly, if we do adopt a date-based system - please avoid
seasons for the same reason. "Spring 2011" is ~April 2011 in Germany
- but ~September 2011 in South Africa.

Yes, this is the point why 2011.0 and 2011.1 is the better choice like
Mandriva. But we´re not Mandriva or Ubuntu or Mint or Fedora or what
ever, we´re openSUSE. Maybe it´s better for our "way we are" to stay
with the current version scheme

What do you think?

thanks

Numbering a release 2011.03 provides the reader with useful, accurate
information...In this case when it was released.

Conversely, naming it openSUSE 11.4 seems to provide useful information
but that information is not accurate. The number implies the fourth update
of major version 11.0. Alternatively it could be read as an over-truncated
date stamp meaning "2011 April" or perhaps "November 2004".
Unfortunately, none of these are accurate.

Although I understand the need to be a distinct distro, I don't see why we
should continue with a confusing numbering system to do so.

Certainly our community, development philosophy, unique tools, and brand
are enough to keep openSUSE distinct.

Besides, in the case of 'YYYY-MM' we are not directly copying any of the
other "big 5" distros. We are taking the best idea from Mandriva (full
year) and combining it with the best idea from Ubuntu (including the month)
to create an optimal solution. Taking the best ideas - regardless of
origin - and combining them into a rational, cohesive whole is what we do.

Refilwe