I remember there was a discussion about LTS versions. If this is true the LTS
could be X.0 and X.1, X.2 could be short term.

Cheers,
Thomas

On Friday 11 March 2011 09:34:14 wrote Andreas Jaeger:
We had this week a discussion on IRC on how to name the next release
and I took the action item to do a poll on connect.opensuse.org now to
help us solve the naming of openSUSE distribution releases.

openSUSE does not have a major and minor numbering, even if it seems
so. There is right now no difference in any way between what we would
do for openSUSE 11.4 or 12.0 - and no sense to speak about openSUSE 11
or openSUSE 11 family. We also have no process on how to name the next
release (when to increase which parts of the number).

Here are some options, if I miss some, please tell me and I will then
soon setup a poll. I'm listening the next version we would use as well
as how the following would be called as an example. Remember we have
releases every 8 months, so the next releases are: November 2011, July
2012, March 2013, November 2013, July 2014, March 2015.

1. "old school": The same we do right now but let's decide when to
change the right number: we count it always until 3.
Next release is 12.0.
Following releases: 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 13.0