On Friday 11 March 2011 03:59:40 Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Freitag, 11. März 2011 schrieb Karsten König:
Isn't that maybe a bit too techy?

That's why we don't want a discussion but a poll. If the majority likes
techy, we should take techy.

Greetings, Stephan

I agree that a vote is probably the best solution. Still, if this gets
decided outside of a formal vote - I'd like to see something along the
lines of Mandriva or Ubuntu.

That is to say, a numbering system that conveys meaningful information!

One of the things that endears me to openSUSE is that it is typically run
in a purposeful, pragmatic fashion. Releases tend to feature only
calculated 'risk' - FF 4 beta? Yes. Systemd? Technical Preview.

I hope that our version numbering is also changed to something purposeful
and pragmatic. Of the various proposals, a date-based system best fulfills
this goal. Similarly, if we do adopt a date-based system - please avoid
seasons for the same reason. "Spring 2011" is ~April 2011 in Germany - but
~September 2011 in South Africa.

Refilwe