Am 11.03.2011 17:40, schrieb Ricardo Chung:
Beside the numerical reference we could use people names who made some
contribution for Information Technologies (software, networks, algorithms,
communications, security,etc) So we can honor their merits and made them
visibles. Nobody did that before and openSUSE would be the first.

The only drawback is the flames about who is who. We can name it without
regards how much contribution that person made. It is not a competition just a
way to recognize our anonymous contributors.
Do you mean we do something like "openSUSE x.y Ricarde Chung" or "openSUSE x.y Jos Portvliet (hope this is the right pronounciation....)" or something like "openSUSE x.y Steve Jobs" or "openSUSE x.y Linus Torvalds"?
Remember is not a mumbering replacement (whatever we do adopt). It is just an
add-on to recognize those people who made a contribution and changed the way
we interact with our machines or communications devices.
This is important! Versionnumbers have practical value and these names will underline the values....
What do you think ?
A really good idea!

thanks

openSUSE Ambassador