Re: [opensuse-project] Questions for the candidates
Hey Vinnie,

thanks for these great questions.

On 12.01.2011 10:23, Vincent Untz wrote:

I read the platforms of all candidates, and I have a few questions :-)
I'd appreciate if you could take some time to answer them; it'll help me
vote in an informed way.

1) You described various issues you'd like to get fixed and goals you
want to achieve. Will you still work on (or help with) those tasks
if you're not on the board, or do you think you really need to be on
the board for some of those tasks?

I wondered that myself and from my board experience I can tell you that
being on the board has little to do with day to day tasks. It's about
finding consensus with the other board members for project wide issues
that are brought up by the community. Being on the board really is not
about working on the distribution, infrastructure or marketing.

2) How much time per week can you secure (approximately) for the board?
(I know it will be 0% of your time for some weeks, and much more
for some other weeks; I'm interested in the average)

I usually spend 40% of my week for project wide issues. Fortunately I
have a job and a boss that allows me to spend work time on this...

3) Did you attend IRC board meetings already?

I run them at the moment... :)

4) It's interesting that I see nearly no note about budget/money in
platforms. When (not if ;-)) we'll have the Foundation, the board
will have to work on a budget. So a few questions about this...

Let me clarify. The current elections are not for the board of the
Foundation! A foundation has to find (elect) its own board. The current
plan is to "transfer" the members and take the board that gets now
elected as initial "proposal" for a foundation board but I'm sure that
due to the change of tasks, roles and priorities (which you correctly
noted) we will see a lot of changes in the setup. All of this has still
to be hashed out of course.

4a) Have you experience with creating/dealing with a budget?

Indeed I have. Before my current position I was a people manager at SUSE
managing a team of ~15 people that took care of the base system. I of
course also managed the budget.

4b) Where will we find money for the Foundation?

Everywhere we can! Corporate sponsors close to us like Novell, open-slx
or B1. Individuals that want to give something back to us. Other
organizations etc. Fund raiser parties, merchandising, partnerships and
so on.

I also would like to be creative about it and seek out of the box ways
to find money. There are a lot of cool new ideas out there like the
crowdfunding platforms, buy one get one for charity campaigns and so on.
You know me, I wouldn't mind to try new obscure things and be different :)

4c) What should we use the money for?

One focus I would definitely like to see is to use that money to make it
possible to bridge the distance between contributors sometimes. Its
amazing what you can achieve if you put people in real life into a room.
Not only will you produce better technology but also a better community
with more meaningful friendships.

5) I do think it'd be useful to have some board-related meeting at
FOSDEM. That should help the newly-elected board members to know
faster what's happening, and how things work. Will you come to
FOSDEM? (I know some people, and that's most probably true for the
non-European, will likely not be able to attend; that's not an issue)

I will and I think meeting at some event is a nice idea.

7) Do you care more about Free Software or Open Source? Just to be
clear: there's no wrong answer. But it helps understand why you
contribute to projects like openSUSE.

I equally care for both concepts. I also care for getting things done.
And I'm a believer in change. What I really believe is that the world is
in no regard as black and white as all theorems made by man.

Questions to specific candidates, related to their platform:

Henne: not really a question related to your platform, but to your
experience on the board. What could be improved in the way the
board works as of today? (btw, it's not a way for me to try to
get the current board blamed in any way: we all know things can
always get improved, and time usually helps with that)

There is only one grief I have with the boards work at the moment and
that is not easily fixable. Most of the members don't have too much time
on their hands for the work on the board. Every tried to bring 5 busy
schedules together? Ever tried to bring 5 busy people on one page?
Sometimes it's a nightmare and we have to do things over and over again
until it sticks with everybody. So if you would be a ferry with a tutu
and I had a wish, I would wish for less busy people with the same amount
of experience and commitment to openSUSE on the board.

Also, can I get a dodo?

If you show me your dodo herding license...

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
- Mike Tyson