Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing openSUSE Tumbleweed project
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:42:37 +0100
* Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [Nov 30. 2010 23:24]:

I think it's pretty clear how we could make rolling updates work, thanks
to the awesomeness of the build service.
But what should it include? The same as a shipped openSUSE release?
More?
Isn't it an "up-to-date and stable core system" + everything that's a
stable release of anything on build.o.o ?
Where do we draw the line ?

I would expect that 'subsystem maintainers' emerge, taking responsibility
for specific parts of the whole distribution.

This responsibility does not only include pushing 'stable' updates to
the Tumbleweed release manager but also taking care about bug reports.

And here is also the sweet spot for Tumbleweed. A bug would in most
cases be fixed by pointing the user to the latest version. No more costly
backporting of changes to previous versions.
And the Tumbleweed release manager is acting as an integrator, accepting
submit requests from the subsystem maintainers.

Its up to those maintainers to draw the line, they're probably the only
ones with sufficient knowledge about what might break with the update[1].
They will take the praise for up-to-date packages as well as the blame
if their subsystem breaks.

Having good feedback channels from users to maintainers is essential.

I could imagine having this coupled with the 'app store' idea where
packages/subsystems/maintainers get 'karma' based on user feedback.

Klaus

[1] Having an automated testsuite surely helps here. Hint, hint.
---