Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing openSUSE Tumbleweed project
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:00:04 +0100
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 21:26, Greg KH wrote:
Without Packman support for at least some of the key kmod's and codecs
needed by tumbleweed, I seriously doubt it will get much  end-user
adoption.

I don't care about closed source kernel modules that violate my personal
copyright, and neither should you.

There is a world of difference between a "working" install of openSUSE
and an install that is considered useful by the Desktop user base.
Thus the comment about key kmods and codecs is quite valid. Without
that.... a tumbleweed distro (something I'm VERY interested in) drops
to a passing curiosity.

This is not to say that a tumbleweed can't have those extras, or must
have them.. but they should be considered/be available in some form.

C.