Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing openSUSE Tumbleweed project
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:32:49 -0800
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 05:25:52PM -0000, Administrator wrote:
Hi all,

There's been many discussions over the past years about a "rolling
update" version of openSUSE on lots of different mailing lists and in
person a different conferences.

So the time now is to stop talking about it, and actually trying to do
it :)

So, I'd like to propose "openSUSE Tumbleweed" a repo that is a rolling
updated version of openSUSE containing the latest "stable" versions of
packages for people to use.

<snip>

I'd like to do this "for real" after 11.4 is out, just due to the amount
of time it will take to get the workflow down properly, and due to some
other time constraints on my plate at the moment. I anticipate trying
this out to start with based on 11.3 but I don't guarantee it all
working properly right at the moment.

So, any thoughts, ideas, objections?

How would this sit in relation to repos like Packman? Would it supersede
(or provide a base for) those efforts?

Stuff in Packman is there because of legal reasons it can't be hosted in
the openSUSE build system, right? Because of that, I don't see how
Tumbleweed could "supersede" those packages, but it could be a base for
a Packman repo for these packages to be built against.

But, if there are packages in Packman that people just use because they
are "more up to date" than the existing "stable" release, then yes, I
could see Tumbleweed superseding it.

Hope this helps explain things.

thanks,

greg k-h