Re: [opensuse-project] Science and Education repos/ Scientific packages
  • From: Alin Marin Elena <alinm.elena@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:48:06 +0100

Hi Werner,

Perfect! Once we get the rules we can try to enrol the free time of scientists
from different fields to get lists of relevant opensource packages that should
make it into the repo.

As a side note, Novell may have a direct interest in it, as sled is the core
of many supercomputers around world. usually on a supercomputer you will use a
different set of libraries and compilers but having gnu packaged versions may
help.

Two points that once should have in mind.
1, compiling scientific programs may be a very heuristic process
2. deciding which features are relevant for a program has to be done in close
connection with the scientific community.

regards,
Alin