Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:53:00 -0500
On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 11:05 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Mittwoch 07 Juli 2010 schrieb Bryen M. Yunashko:

numbers for the upcoming 11.3 release. I'm not expecting to see huge
writeups out there about 11.3. I'm not expecting to hear a lot of buzz
out there about 11.3. For one simple reason. The dot three sounds
simply like a minor update to the family of openSUSE 11 product line.

Hi,

I can't stop thinking about this argument about minor version updates.
What I wonder: did you see less reviews about Mac OS X updates after
10.0? I actually can't see any decline - and they seem still to sell quite
a lot of new computers even though it's just a minor update.

So I'm all for staying with 11.X till we switch to 12.MONTH 2012.

Greetings, Stephan

In this example, its' more about marketing than about technical
differences. We cannot deny that Apple is one hell of a marketing
marvel and people just buy and buy and buy no matter what because it
simply is Apple.

Just look at the latest iPhone release. Despite the huge negative
publicity about poor reception, people are still buying it in the
millions. It is Apple, therefore you buy, no matter what.

We don't have that kind of advantage, and thus we're more stuck in the
"We have to explain why to 'buy' us" mode. I predict this will all
change once we finally release the openSUSEPhone and openSUSEPod. No
one will resist buying those. :-)

Bryen