Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:43:02 +0200
Am Montag 12 Juli 2010 schrieb Michael Loeffler:
On Monday 12 July 2010 15:07:18 Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 07/12/2010 03:05 PM, Peter Albrecht wrote:
Is it really? To me it always has been obvious that the numbering
scheme was as Chuck mentioned.

Exactly, but it seems this is going to change now, because we'll be
having 11.4 and maybe even 11.5 (read email by Michael Loeffler above in
this thread). If we want to avoid more confusion, we really have to
document this.

Fully agreed, it needs documentation. Its better then guessing.
I strongly propose to give the upcoming version the name openSUSE 11.4 as
rushing this makes things more likely worse then they are and I don't see
agreement on any of the discussed version schemes. I'm oppose to change the
scheme to the sake of change but I'm open to change it to improve it.

OK, so let's kill this thread: the openSUSE versioning scheme is as is:
we have 11.X till we see a reason to jump to 12.0 - from then on we'll have
12.X. This X is increasing every 8 months.

3 months before release of every 11.X we'll discuss on opensuse-factory if
the changes in 11.X are worth a 12.0. The board then will decide - this is not
exactly a technical decision, it's only a collection of gut feelings that need
to be collected. IMO a board's task.

Reasons for a 12.0 from my point of view are:
- drastic changes in user experience during installation or the way linux
works
- drastic changes in the base system that make it much harder than usual
to do live updates.

But again: I wouldn't try to describe the exact algorithm a new major version
is picked upon, but make it an open process triggered by a timeline.

Greetings, Stephan