Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:33:04 -0400
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le lundi 12 juillet 2010, à 14:16 +0200, Martin Schlander a écrit :
Mandag den 12. juli 2010 14:07:56 skrev Vincent Untz:
Le lundi 12 juillet 2010, à 14:05 +0200, Martin Schlander a écrit :
* Must not smell of Ubuntu

Why?

Apart from the Ubuntu versioning scheme not meeting the first two criteria of
my test,

I can understand why it could fail the "100% self-explanatory" one
(that's debatable, imho), but the second one is met.

copying Ubuntu would also make openSUSE the laugh of the town.

And why? My impression (and I have no idea if it's right -- on the
contrary, I'd be happy to be proven wrong) is that you're saying this
because you don't like Ubuntu in some way.

Btw, I'm not saying we should adopt the Ubuntu scheme -- I still have no
strong opinion on what's best.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Why change? Even since the days of S.u.S.E it always been x.0, x.1,
x.2, x.3 and I think a couple times x.4. We shouldn't change to any
other distro naming ways. We are openSUSE, more and more lately I
think we are trying to hard to mirror *buntu. Come on, leave it alone.

I think what is place works, as a sys admin, I think we should follow
the rule that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.