[opensuse-project] Mandriva still kicking
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:56:01 +0200
recent rumors were that Mandriva was broke and in danger of folding..

this 7 July 2010 Mandriva press release has a different view and
outlines the group "is a technological pioneer offering the sole
independent Linux distribution on the European market."

see: 'Mandriva is alive! | TuxRadar Linux'
(http://www.tuxradar.com/content/mandriva-alive)

i offer it here as a potential discussion on how oS might (or maybe
should/should not) play in helping the EU (and most all other
governmental bodies) break the current lock-in to proprietary software
but *not* settle on _one_ name brand open source replacement (thereby
risking jumping from one master to another)..

and, just mention that we (in openSUSE) might do ourselves smart by
prodding (if that is possible) suse.de to learn what we might do to
better position oS/SLE_ to have a huge slice of that europa pie/apple
strudel..

[final: in the past month there have been posts here (? or in the
forum) about how "SUSE" outta get busy in Brazil because the gov there
has money to spend on alternative open source solutions..

i offer these thoughts as _possible_ ideas to consider while the
strategy forward remains to be finalized..]

DenverD