Re: [opensuse-project] Strategy d: Status Quo, and quantified so
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:31:30 +0200
On Thursday 08 July 2010 14:19:57 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Guido Berhoester wrote:
This was not intended as a _documentation_ of the status quo.
Although it does that as well, it primarily constitutes a
_proposal for a strategy_ which aims to focus on and stick to
existing strengths of the project while addressing some
deficiencies. In fact it incorporates parts of the other
proposals and should stand adjacent to them as an equal
alternative.

We just have to separate "what we did" and "what we plan" into two
wikistyle ==sections==.

That said, if there is anything in there that is not expressly
marked as "we plan to do this", then let's hear it.

good compromise between actuality and stability (the Debian--Fedora
tradeoff)

I guess SUSE always had that.

agreeable release cycle 8-12 months

It was something like that. Now somebody mentioned it was a fixed 8 months,
so uh well. That decision itself is young.

More than a year now - yeah, young.

support for the 3 most current releases

Also a reply stated 2 releases - to make 18 months. Which isn't quite true.
_Right now_, there's 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2 supported, and as I've just read
on LWN, 11.0's has just been extended until 11.3 is here. And once that is
out you again have three: 11.3, 11.2, 11.1.

2 releases plus two months going forward:
* 11.2 + 18 months
* 8 months after 11.3
* 8 months later 11.4
* 2 months later: the end of 11.2, we now had 11.2/11.3/11.4 maintained
* next six months only 11.3/11.4
* and then 11.5 comes out

So, both 2 and 3 is right at some point of time

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany