Re: [opensuse-project] Strategy d: Status Quo, and quantified so
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:02:59 +0200
On Thursday 08 July 2010 12:11:16 Per Jessen wrote:
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
One thing that was in Martin's proposal under "We will not do
anymore":
* Supporting old hardware and non-mainstream architectures
* Supporting form-factors that are not workstation, laptop, server

or netbook

What is the best way to describe the current situation regarding
form-factory and architectures?

I'm not sure we need to state "what we will not do any more". When it
comes to hardware, it's better to state "what we will do":

What we will do:

* endeavour to support primary form-factors: workstation, laptop, server
and netbook.
* endeavour to support current hardware and mainstream architectures.

I understand this definition of "current hardware" is as fuzzy as "old
hardware", but I doubt if anyone will be able to come up with an exact
definition.

mainstream architectures are x86 and x86-64. How do we describe the current
status of support for Arm, PowerPC, Sparc etc?

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany