Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 21:46:12 -0500
On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 20:18 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
There's been a discussion in this thread about creating some sort of
tiered membership format. I don't agree with that ...
instead, I propose we do two separate groups:

Which in effect will be tiered.
You can't avoid that, it is just how many levels is
appropriate right now.

No it wouldn't be the same thing. This has nothing to do with a tier or
levels. A tier implies you move up the ladder somehow. Being a member
of the "openSUSE Supporters" group wouldn't necessarily be a requirement
to be a member of the "openSUSE Contributors" group, although it would
be a good idea if you could join both.

The Supporters group is just simply a place where people can go to say
"Hey I support you guys in spirit!" That's all. And we give them some
nice things, like a fan club. It's not an activity group and its not
something that leads towards eventual promotion to "Contributor"
group.

Even who manages it would be totally different. The Contributors group
would continue to be primarily managed by the openSUSE Board through its
Membership team, while the Supporters group would likely be managed by
the Marketing team or something like that. Its just a way to further
advertise our Project and strengthen the bond with our consumers
(supporters.)

Bryen