Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:18:55 -0500
On Wednesday 07 July 2010 19:18:48 Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
... It is a
form of appreciation, and this group of people are contributors.
(Perhaps rename openSUSE Member as openSUSE Contributor?)

+1

... we should be taking the rejected applicants for
membership and engaging with them to find out more and see how we can
create more contributions. In fact, most, if not all, of our strategy
proposals depend on the growth of our contributor base in openSUSE. And
we simply cannot wait for potential contributors to come to us, we need
to be proactive and find them.

+1

There's been a discussion in this thread about creating some sort of
tiered membership format. I don't agree with that ...
instead, I propose we do two separate groups:

Which in effect will be tiered.
You can't avoid that, it is just how many levels is appropriate right now.

openSUSE Contributors (or we can come up with a different name for that)
with everything just the same, same benefits or even add more benefits
down the line as reward for their sustained contributions.

Name Contributor is describing what they do.
There will be problem with current definition of membership that requires
sustained contributions. Two categories of contributors are not covered:
- one time, or from time to time
- and contributors that did good job in the past, but now are not active

Could we consider that covered with Supporters, or we need "Active
contributor" vs. "Contributor", or third, just skip that (for now)?

openSUSE Supporters - this group would be free-for-all, anyone can join.
You can get certain benefits that simply are associated with being a
supporter. For example:
-- A digital badge you can print out "I <3 openSUSE"
-- Automatic subscription to a periodic openSUSE newsletter
-- Discount at the openSUSE Store. (Hey, let's face it, the more people
we get wearing our shirts, the more walk-around free advertising we
get!)
-- Early access to the latest openSUSE release. Like maybe one week.
(In theory, what we'd really be doing is pushing back our actual release
by one week, and again in a marketing effort, give people a sense that
they have early access to openSUSE and will excitably talk about
openSUSE before the rest of the world does.)

+1
+ early access is necessary for other categories of people that need time to
prepare for release and instead writing about B2 they can write about actual
release

Now we have two distinctive groups that take the two most common
perceptions of what "member" means.

Which is good solution that create one group that is easy to enter and that
creates stronger connection to the project and distribution, and higher
potential to start contributing then current "non-Members".

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member

--
Regards Rajko,