Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 19:34:28 -0500
On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 21:47 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Sunday 04 July 2010 15:59:46 DenverD wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
Mmm... I'm openSUSE Potato Carlos... Does it sound right? :-? :-p

as an 'outsider' who has had many real titles in a long and exciting
life with no connection to a self-selected group, i need to say:

this discussion is rather humorous..

now, i want all the folks who have never had a title and really want
one to stand on one side, and all the others come over here with me
and then _we_ let the i-wish-i-had-a-Core-Distinctive-SuperDuper-title
hash out what they wanna call each other, so they know the correct
pecking order!!

and, then they can discuss how many angels can dance on the head of a
pin..

Evil Potato DenverD
aks: non-member/talker

DenverD, for some it's about the title - but for other it's about what's
behind a title. As I said elsewhere: As a member you can get a lizards
blog account, an IRC cloak, an @opensuse.org email address and vote for the
board. How should we handle this in the best way?

Andreas

Both definitions mentioned by AJ represent a "pat on the back" for your
great contributions in our current setup. But, there's an additional
definition that *could* be a benefit in the future.

I'm thinking about the other project I work with, GNOME-A11y. In that
group, we have many paid contributors. These people are paid by their
employers to do some magic with a11y because their employer feels that
a11y is important to whatever the company mission is.

Now, we don't really have that many paid contributors (not counting
Novell here) in the openSUSE Project. Conceivably, this is something we
should aim to grow in the future. In this case, a membership has added
significance because it gives that contributor a way to say to his/her
employer "Hey, I've been working on openSUSE just like you told me to,
and openSUSE appreciates my work by giving me contributor status."

It can also help for those who aren't exactly paid to work with
openSUSE, but do work somehow with Linux in their company and they can
show their boss or prospective employer (if applying for a new job), I
do work in Linux and openSUSE believes in my work enough to consider me
an important contributor with this title. (Thus they have something
that is "resume-able" for lack of a better word.)

So we shouldn't be thinking about the significance of the title only how
it applies today, but also in how it can apply in the future as we
continue to grow our contributor base.

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member