Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:51:12 -0500
reject a person applying for membership. Why does it happen that
people apply that are not active? What can be done here?

It's very dificult to know what one particular people do for
openSUSE.
We can do, if he work on mailing list/wiki/forums.

But there are many other places. Examples:

do members have to:

* speak english? how can we estimate non english activity?

No, they don't have to IMO - but how will they then apply?

Actually, we have seen people apply in the past in their own language
and we end up having to try to then translate. Of course, if we don't
know what language it is, then we're stuck unable to use any kind of
translation. :-)

Then, next step is we try to contact someone in that region (e.g.
Indonesia) who has a lot of knowledge of the community in that area and
ask that person to vouch for that person.

But yes, we don't really do much in reaching out to other language-based
openSUSE Community folks to appeal to them to apply. Their
contributions certainly do matter, even if its only seen in their
region/language. But I guess on the flip-side of the coin, if they
cannot communicate in English, how can they exercise their right to vote
if our primary established language is English?

I'm not saying to exclude those, but obviously closing the gap needs to
happen in this particular focus. :-/

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member