[opensuse-project] Re: Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:14:00 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 10:33:29 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

Do we want to open up all of this and open it up so that everybody can
sign up and can get these benefits - or a part of it?

I the main question that comes to mind for me on this is:

Do we want the member benefits to be a reward/incentive for contribution,
or a way of increasing brand awareness?

On the one hand, giving (for example) an opensuse.org mailing address is
something that builds brand awareness (through increased visibility of
the name) and thus raises the visibility of the project.

On the other hand, if people who aren't trusted by the community receive
this benefit, could they do damage (and how much) to the brand?

I think it depends on what we want to achieve with these "perks" - and
maybe that's where the discussion should start, with the goal in mind.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson