[opensuse-project] Re: Strategy discussion @ forums
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:01:50 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:42:29 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I was rather thinking on the line of a group of people reading all new
bugzillas, doing a fast assessment, asking for the typical logs or
whatever is missing, all at most 36 hours after the initial report. Then
advise the reporter about what is the typical response time on that kind
of problem considering the current backlog. And forward to the proper
team of people that handle that particular type of problem, if known.

I've seen that sort of structure used internally with Novell's bugzilla -
for example, when I submit a request to the web team, it goes to a
holding "bucket" where someone looks at the request and then sends it off
to the right person.

Sometimes I have reported a problem and then, 6 months later I get asked
(first answer) to add some info or a log or whether I also had that
other symptom. By that time I don't remember!

Or, in my case, often I don't have the system any more (might've upgraded
it or wiped it to put something else on the hardware - I've got a couple
laptops that I use for lab systems).

Plus it is very
discouraging for a reporter not to get a simple feedback in months.

That's certainly true. :-)

--
Jim Henderson