Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:29:46 +0200

Per Jessen wrote:
DenverD wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:

You and I both know that really isn't the case. Each release we put
out there is an improvement, an enhancement, and yes even a patch to
previous versions. There can be many new things in there, and there
can be some old things that *work better* in there (we hope!).
Improvements, enhancements and patches all make for minor
releases. "Many new things" combined could possibly make for a major
release, but in my opinion only if they affect the base system.
who gets to decide what "base system" and how much affect is seen,
felt, heard, smelt or tasted......or just read about?

Well, I know what I think the base system encompasses. Overall, I don't
think it'll be too difficult to look at a package and say "base or
not?".

understand, but i *guess* 'base' might be defined somewhat differently
depending on the machine owner and his/her needs...like the base
system interesting to a SysAdmin at (say) Rackspace is probably
different from the base system attracting a Hollywood digital effects
artist and both of those different from a nettop user, or your average
Linux kernel hacker... etc..

DenverD