Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 00:00:03 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Per Jessen wrote:
Wrt Michaels comment, I think it might be possible to define reasonable
major number thresholds. We (and presumably SLE product management)
would just have to accept that major releases won't happen very often.

From a SUSE Linux Enterprise perspective we are looking at major release
cycles of three or more years. And, yes, product management is fine with
that. ;-)

Bit of a catch-22 - we won't know what the last minor is until SLE is
out, but that is already based on the last.

That is something we could untangle by providing more insights into our
plans for SUSE Linux Enterprise up front. I guess this is something I'd
be able to take care of.

I am in no way intimately familiar with the SLE product cycle etc., but
is it important to have such a strong coupling between openSUSE and SLE?

I am quite intimately familiar with both SUSE Linux Enterprise and
openSUSE and it's been nice in the past, while I do not consider it
truely important going forward.

Note: none of the above is a request to keep the status quo, nor is
it a request for change. In my mind this is something for openSUSE
to decide independently and I will be glad to provide whatever data
may be needed for that.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Director Product Management, SUSE Linux Enterprise, openSUSE, Appliances