Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme (was Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?)
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:29:35 +0200
On Tuesday 06 July 2010 16:18:19 Greg Freemyer wrote:
As to the comment on the wiki that SLES numbers are too easily
confused with openSUSE version numbers, I'm not sure that's an
openSUSE issue per se. Who's impacted by the confusion.

It's one of my pain points when I see messages speaking about SUSE 11.1 -
and asking back, it's about SLES 11 or SLES 11 SP1 ;-(. I've seen it too
often.

So, because of my pain points, I'd like to have a good versioning scheme.
Currently we have *no scheme*: We use major.minor without any meaning
besides marketing. major gets increased whenever somebody feels like it
but there's no documented way of increasing it.

There's nothing in 11.x that stays the same: Neither branding, base system,
installation etc. NOTHING that cannot be touched between 11.x and 11.x+1.
And that's completely different from expectations by software developers.

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany