Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme (was Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?)
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:18:19 -0400
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Loeffler wrote:

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 15:41:43 Peter Nikolic wrote:

What exactly is wrong with the current system
IS this yet another change for the sake of change or does someone
have a rock solid reason for changing what seems to work very well
for Opensuse note  We are NOT Ubuntu  we are NOT Fedora   we are NOT
Debian .

My vote is we stay exactly as we are now and don't wreak a system
that works just because someone fancies mucking things up for
something to do / get their name mentioned ..

+1, I still don't see what's wrong with the current scheme nor real
benefits from a new scheme.

+1.  What would be nice would be to add some real meaning to the
major.minor number.  And to stick to it.

Ah..., so we could stick with 11.x until KDE 5 comes out!

I really think that is bad idea, so I'm going to ignore the technology
side of it.

The only other driver I could think of is to bump to 12.0 when the new
strategy comes out. (That's part of what's driving this discussion
anyway.)

Stick with 12.x for say 3 years, and then do a strategy revision and
bump to 13.0.

Repeat every 3 years or so. It has the benefit of putting strategy
and strategy revision on people's minds. It also helps people realize
when they are having strategy discussions that they should be looking
years out, not just a release or two.

As to the comment on the wiki that SLES numbers are too easily
confused with openSUSE version numbers, I'm not sure that's an
openSUSE issue per se. Who's impacted by the confusion.

Greg