Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:09:02 +0200
Le dimanche 04 juillet 2010, à 10:33 +0200, Andreas Jaeger a écrit :
I'd like to do a bit out of the box thinking on this one and see the
$member discussion in a broader context as well.

Currently the benefits of membership are:
* lizards.opensuse.org blog account
* IRC opensuse.org cloak
* @opensuse.org mail alias
* Right to vote the openSUSE board - and perhaps participate in other votes
we do

Do we want to open up all of this and open it up so that everybody can sign
up and can get these benefits - or a part of it? This might be good from a
marketing perspective since more people would call themselves $member and
use their openSUSE org mail alias etc.

Or do we want to continue giving these benefits based on merit?

I'd keep that based on merit for various reasons:

+ it's a way for the project to thank contributors, and I think this is
valuable

+ anyone with one of the above benefits will be seen as representing
openSUSE in some way. And it's a sad truth that it's easy to abuse
those benefits if we open them, with "abuse" being something like
being highly disrespectful of everything or just being negative
towards our project all the time. So it's also a way to have a
minimal control on who gets an opensuse.org address/blog/cloak/etc.

Somebody said in the discussion that he felt bad whenever we had to reject
a person applying for membership. Why does it happen that people apply
that are not active? What can be done here?

I think the fact that it's named "member" is indeed contributing to
creating this confusion: a newcomer might want to become a member just
because he wants to feel part of the community. So finding a new name
for this (which is the goal of this thread) might be worth it.

Btw. how do other projects handle this? What names are Debian, Fedora,
Ubuntu, etc. doing in this regard? Can anybody register and have these
rights or to which is it bound?

Debian: I guess the closest thing is Debian Developers
(see http://www.debian.org/devel/join/index.en.html)

Fedora: I'd say Fedora Contributors. For example, to get a
fedoraproject.org mail address, people have to sign the CLA
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/CLA) and be a
member of another group. So the CLA is the minimal stuff.

Ubuntu: Ubuntu Members (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.