Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Why I wont use the forums
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:13:35 +0200

On 2010-07-03 14:09, Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 03 July 2010 07:00:30 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Can I advertise to you re-alpine? ;-)

If you would be a bit more verbose what re-alpine is.

It is the new version of Alpine, which was the new version of Pine.

Pine is (was) a powerful text mail and news client program (MUA), developed by
the University of
Washington, with a license that was not completely open. It was included in the
distro. A few years
ago the opened the license (Apache license), did a large overhaul with nice
needed features (like
UTF8 support), named it as "Alpine", then dropped it from development
completely. They even fired
some or all of the core staff that developed that and other things.

Re-alpine is the new project, hosted at sourceforge if I recall correctly, that
has taken over from
that point. They have some of the original devs as advisors, not devs. I
haven't tested it (yet).

11.3 has Alpine, not re-alpine.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Minas Tirith))