Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:50:38 +0200
On Sunday 04 July 2010 10:43:25 jdd wrote:
Le 04/07/2010 10:33, Andreas Jaeger a écrit :
Somebody said in the discussion that he felt bad whenever we had to
reject a person applying for membership. Why does it happen that
people apply that are not active? What can be done here?

It's very dificult to know what one particular people do for openSUSE.
We can do, if he work on mailing list/wiki/forums.

But there are many other places. Examples:

do members have to:

* speak english? how can we estimate non english activity?

No, they don't have to IMO - but how will they then apply?

* work on the net? How can we estimate the field (entreprises, install
fests, demo dvd spreading, teaching relatives)?

with reports from them - they could blog about this.

* work specifically for openSUSE? Some very active people of upstream
applications ask for membership. they work being GPL'd are used
anuwhere. How can we know if they are openSUSE active fans? may be
they coded this only for openSUSE on the beginning?

Adding the fact than presently only a handfull of members work on the
registration process! not enough!

There should be at least one active registrator on any langage, known
to be so, and the candidate instructed to send him they "registering
evidences"

That sounds to me that our membership process (and note I'm one of those
that is responsible for its launch) is too complicated,

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany