Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme (was Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?)
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:48:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday 2010-07-04 10:18, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

We actually have code names, and it's the shades of greens. 11.3 is
Teal. We just don't advertize this -- yet. (I think we should).

We should go for a simple numbering scheme, that doesn't cause the
confusion that the old one has (a lot of people give different
meanings to the numbers, even though they don't mean a thing - other
than of course x.1 meaning "unusually buggy").

Either do it the Fedora way. openSUSE 12, 13, 14 etc.

Or the Mandriva way 2011.0, 2011.1, 2012.0 etc.

(Or the Ubuntu way, except that it doesn't work well with the next
version which would be 11.03: 11.03, 11.12, 12.07)

One technical side of the decision that was pointed out in an earlier
discussion is that we want to keep some suse_version compatibility. That
means we still need to have, somehow, 11.3 < $nextversion.

"Now featuring <productA> v2.20" !

"Now featuring <productB> v436" !

Which one would you be more likely to check out? Probably the first
one, because the second's version number is so ridiculously high that
it surely is not a major release anymore.

Going by Solaris- or Fedora-style numbering means you are exactly
doing route B, a vast speedup in counting numbers.

Resolution: productA was gnome, productB was 'less'.

it's really a hard limitation, though: we could do something like
Solaris/SunOS where we have an internal scheme for technical purposes
and an external one (Solaris 10 == SunOS 5.10). It makes things a bit
complex, though, so there has to be a really good reason to do so ;-)