Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:33:29 +0200
I'd like to do a bit out of the box thinking on this one and see the
$member discussion in a broader context as well.

Currently the benefits of membership are:
* lizards.opensuse.org blog account
* IRC opensuse.org cloak
* @opensuse.org mail alias
* Right to vote the openSUSE board - and perhaps participate in other votes
we do

Do we want to open up all of this and open it up so that everybody can sign
up and can get these benefits - or a part of it? This might be good from a
marketing perspective since more people would call themselves $member and
use their openSUSE org mail alias etc.

Or do we want to continue giving these benefits based on merit?

Somebody said in the discussion that he felt bad whenever we had to reject
a person applying for membership. Why does it happen that people apply
that are not active? What can be done here?

Btw. how do other projects handle this? What names are Debian, Fedora,
Ubuntu, etc. doing in this regard? Can anybody register and have these
rights or to which is it bound?

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany