Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 22:52:09 -0500
"Registered member" is OK for voting.
Being contributor and real person, is enough for that.

"Core member" must show more in some of our activities, with quantity,
quality and persistence. ...

I'm totally against creating different levels of "members" since that just
will open a bottomless can of worms why X is "only" a "member" while Y is a
"super member" but X does more than Y, at least in the opinion of X or
perhaps Z.

Sincerely I would live rather with a lot of contributors that sometimes have
above problem, and deal on case by case basis, than without many contributors
and no problems, as it is now.

It is easy to miss that when Joe introduced Ambassador program number of
active contributors jumped a lot. Problem is that lack of ideas what exactly
to do with new people left many without direction and they left. Small thing,
calling somebody openSUSE ambassador attracted a lot of people. Nothing to
learn from this?

In the first post I mentioned that majority needs lead and visible incentives
to be active. If we don't give them, someone will.

Also it reminds me too much of that forum style by rating
people based on their post count (which doesn't say anything most of the
times).

If you did not notice they had two ratings, one is by number of posts, the
other is reputation, which is given by other users. In the new interface they
have Rate This Thread, but personal rating, reputation, disappeared.

If you contribute in one way or the other and contribute enough you can
apply for membership which gives you e.g. the right to vote....

Voting is just one thing that motivate people, but not all nor many.

"Distinguished contributor" would be someone that has no continuous
activity, but when is active we can see that.

Which just leads to having some definition for being a "Distinguished
contributor" which needs to draw the border to being a "normal member" - as
in it doesn't bring anything but just enlarges the problem.

The intention is not to make people comfortable with "all are equal" status
and do nothing. Whether you contribute, or not, you get your openSUSE
download. What is your reward for more effort that you put in a distro? None.

Distinguished, registered, core members get promotional DVDs, small presents,
SLE, slx products, access to services, more publicity, formal recognition in
shape of awards for accomplishments, travel expenses, that other don't. This
is a bit more incentive to do more then it is now.

IMHO people contribute cause they like to do so.

In ideal world that is so. In real you get what you pay for.
No rewards, no activity.

If they contributed enough
they can apply for membership. And if they get declined now they can
continue contributing and reapply later and then get admitted.

That is another point that we should change.
Now we wait until someone apply and get bunch of applications from people that
got it wrong and then when application is declined we expect that they stay
with a project. I don't think so.

Proactive approach will be more successful, at least it will make wait list
non existent. When you see someone contributing then approach him and offer
registration. If offer is declined then good. Leave door open and let him/her
apply when he/she feels ready.

I just don't see any problem with this and IMHO this whole discussion how
to call it is somehow ridiculous and unnecessary - which is why I would
like to suggest to rename "member" to "potato" and be done with it.

From packaging perspective I can't see any difference, but from social there
is a big one.

--
Regards Rajko,