Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: Stephan Kleine <bitdealer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 05:14:20 +0200
On Sunday July 4 2010 03:51:23 David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010, Stephan Kleine wrote:
On Sunday July 4 2010 00:55:03 Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 03 July 2010 12:37:11 Jan Engelhardt wrote:

But since you cannot quantify as to whether they do that,
they should really be called Registered Member instead.

"Registered member" is OK for voting.
Being contributor and real person, is enough for that.

"Core member" must show more in some of our activities, with quantity,
quality and persistence. We can call it "Leading member", but that has
connotation that we don't need. Lead is in workplace hierarchy here
above workers, and has some commanding capability.

I'm totally against creating different levels of "members" since that just
will open a bottomless can of worms why X is "only" a "member" while Y is
a "super member" but X does more than Y, at least in the opinion of X or
perhaps Z. Also it reminds me too much of that forum style by rating
people based on their post count (which doesn't say anything most of the
times).

If you contribute in one way or the other and contribute enough you can
apply for membership which gives you e.g. the right to vote. IMHO it
really isn't necessary to make more fuss about it.

ACK.

Language nitpick: "Distinguished Contributor".

Right :) (distinctive and distinguished are easy to be confused)

"Distinguished contributor" would be someone that has no continuous
activity, but when is active we can see that.

Which just leads to having some definition for being a "Distinguished
contributor" which needs to draw the border to being a "normal
member" - as in it doesn't bring anything but just enlarges the
problem.

IMHO people contribute cause they like to do so. If they contributed
enough they can apply for membership. And if they get declined now they
can continue contributing and reapply later and then get admitted.

I just don't see any problem with this and IMHO this whole discussion how
to call it is somehow ridiculous and unnecessary - which is why I would
like to suggest to rename "member" to "potato" and be done with it.

I think: leave it as it is. Or rename "Member" to "Lizard". That
shouldn't evoke too much confusing associations in the context,
at least not those of "member". "potato" would be okay too, but makes
me think of debian. Has *buntu had a "lizard" version yet? Too bad,
chameleon is such a long word, as the contributions of the "members"
come in all sha[dp]es, too, and it's the actual mascot (who named it
"Geeko" anyway? ;). Oh, "Geeko" also has an appeal.

I've been told that "lizard" is no option cause the chief of those "Ku Klux
Klan" bastards is called "dragon" and therefore there certainly will show up
some moron sooner or later that draws some dependency from openSUSE to KKK.

Point being that whole "how to call it " discussion is just ridiculous cause
it will just end in stuff like the last proposal to use philosophers as code
names. I don't remember what was exactly suggested back then but that dude
apparently was called a fascist by some - and I certainly don't care to
continue that discussion, or if it was right or wrong - but it simply resulted
in too much arguments and the idea getting dropped.

IMHO just leave it as it is since "member" of $project isn't that mistakable
if you aren't trying hard to do so or just give it some random name that
doesn't have to do anything with anything - like "potato" since you can't
insinuate a potato anything besides not liking its taste so that discussion
dies once and for all.

Sooo, either stick with "member" (I'm still waiting for some reason why
"member" is wrong ....) or call it "potato" (just to have some name) and be
done with it.

Another option would be to allow everyone to make up ones own name - like
"Evil Overlord" but then we would to have to define the "class" of those who
could define their own name ...... You see where this is going?