Re: [opensuse-project] Naming registered members of openSUSE
  • From: David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 03:51:23 +0200
Hello,

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010, Stephan Kleine wrote:
On Sunday July 4 2010 00:55:03 Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 03 July 2010 12:37:11 Jan Engelhardt wrote:

But since you cannot quantify as to whether they do that,
they should really be called Registered Member instead.

"Registered member" is OK for voting.
Being contributor and real person, is enough for that.

"Core member" must show more in some of our activities, with quantity,
quality and persistence. We can call it "Leading member", but that has
connotation that we don't need. Lead is in workplace hierarchy here above
workers, and has some commanding capability.

I'm totally against creating different levels of "members" since that just
will open a bottomless can of worms why X is "only" a "member" while Y is a
"super member" but X does more than Y, at least in the opinion of X or perhaps
Z. Also it reminds me too much of that forum style by rating people based on
their post count (which doesn't say anything most of the times).

If you contribute in one way or the other and contribute enough you can apply
for membership which gives you e.g. the right to vote. IMHO it really isn't
necessary to make more fuss about it.

ACK.

Language nitpick: "Distinguished Contributor".

Right :) (distinctive and distinguished are easy to be confused)

"Distinguished contributor" would be someone that has no continuous
activity, but when is active we can see that.

Which just leads to having some definition for being a "Distinguished
contributor" which needs to draw the border to being a "normal
member" - as in it doesn't bring anything but just enlarges the
problem.

IMHO people contribute cause they like to do so. If they contributed enough
they can apply for membership. And if they get declined now they can continue
contributing and reapply later and then get admitted.

I just don't see any problem with this and IMHO this whole discussion how to
call it is somehow ridiculous and unnecessary - which is why I would like to
suggest to rename "member" to "potato" and be done with it.

I think: leave it as it is. Or rename "Member" to "Lizard". That
shouldn't evoke too much confusing associations in the context,
at least not those of "member". "potato" would be okay too, but makes
me think of debian. Has *buntu had a "lizard" version yet? Too bad,
chameleon is such a long word, as the contributions of the "members"
come in all sha[dp]es, too, and it's the actual mascot (who named it
"Geeko" anyway? ;). Oh, "Geeko" also has an appeal.

Have fun!

-dnh

--
Open .profile with vi
The vi looks at the .profile and says, "icky, I'm not opening that. Ask Emacs."