[opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme (was Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?)
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <guido+opensuse.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 15:40:18 +0200
* Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-07-03 10:12]:
means we still need to have, somehow, 11.3 < $nextversion. I'm unsure if
it's really a hard limitation, though: we could do something like
Solaris/SunOS where we have an internal scheme for technical purposes
and an external one (Solaris 10 == SunOS 5.10). It makes things a bit
complex, though, so there has to be a really good reason to do so ;-)

That's actually not correct, Solaris is not the same as or a sucessor
to SunOS, Solaris is rather built on and includes SunOS 5 (which is
largely derived from SVR4 rather than the BSD-derived SunOS 4)
and more of a superset of it.

Apart from that, seperating a marketing version from an internal
version will just cause confusion and needless effort.
--
Guido Berhoerster