Re: Spelling openSUSE (was Re: [opensuse-project] Logging related)
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 09:06:54 -0500
On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 15:48 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Friday 2010-07-02 15:23, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Friday 02 July 2010 15:10:05 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Friday 2010-07-02 14:39, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Thursday 01 July 2010 21:36:30 Horváth Gergely J. (Ottó) wrote:
* OpenSUSE should log auth and authpriv messages separately (like
"all" other distributions do).

Please note that the project is called "openSUSE" - always with a
lowercase "o".

But it feels like writing linux instead of Linux. Feels like writing a
filename rather than a project name. Also notice posters (on any mailing
list) who use an all-lowercase variant of their realworld name when
posting? It just doesn't look right, and are suspectible to grammar
debates, double-meaning innuendo jokes and all that, including the
community accusation that some marketing manager has deliberately
planted such debatable casing.
Where it does not matter, that is outside of filesystems, people should
be allowed to claim the right to uppercase. Squid, Python, Debian,
OpenBGPD, OpenSUSE, Opensuse.

That's the way the way the project was launched. It's part of our
identity. Why should we always conform to the normal rules? ;)

OpenSUSE is great enough to deserve the big O notation.

I agree with that sentiment, Jan. But I will also say that there's a
bit of a marketing advantage to openSUSE. I've noticed when I correct
people to spell openSUSE, especially outside of our Community, it makes
them think about it more and they start to remember us more. It's a
great way to help build some mindshare about our great project. :-)

Bryen