[opensuse-project] Logging related
  • From: "Horváth Gergely J. (Ottó)" <hgj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:36:30 +0200
Hello everyone!

I had some discussions on IRC about logging in OpenSUSE and promised to
start a thread here on the ML.

I have done a little research among distributions, to have a bigger
perspective, and based on that, I have some ideas and questions. More
important ones first:

* OpenSUSE should log auth and authpriv messages separately (like "all"
other distributions do).

We certainly can not start a great debate on what to log and where, but
I would like to mention some other points too:

* OpenSUSE does not log crond messages separately (while nearly "all"
other ditros do). Note: This might seem like a "what to log separately
and what not to" question, but considering mail as a general service and
thus logging it in a separate file - in contrast to crond - make me
think of an advise: "Add a filter to crond if you plan to use that
special service a lot - thus spamming your messages log file" :)

* Logging some messages to other files, should not we filter them out
from messages? (I did not check this one, it might be daemon specific
(like ntp), but one with a deeper insight could check it).

One last note, for those who might ask about "other distributions do
it": Please do not misunderstand me, I do not want OpenSUSE to become
like the others, but a nice, general harmony (maybe not only in logging
style) could be achieved among the distributions, so people using
different linuxes could feel more confortable :)

Thank you,
Looking forward for your feedback,
Gregory