Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Home for developers
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:38:51 +0200
On Monday 21 June 2010 10:05:01 Pavol Rusnak wrote:
We deliver the most integrated platform for developers (e.g. web
developers, system developers, Qt/GTK developers, Android/MeeGo/WebOS
developers, etc.)

To be the ideal home for developers we deliver all popular open source
IDEs and related tools and the perfect desktops suited for them to
make the development efficient. Additionally we deliver a decent
server platform to allow direct deployment of web applications and
make rapid testing possible. By providing integration with social
networks and collaboration tools, we enable developers to work
flawlessly in a distributed environments and enable the usage of
agile techniques.

This strategy statement (and probably the other ones) seem like the first step
in a direction without stating the larger goal of the strategy in answering
Pavol's question "Why openSUSE?" [1].

I'm sure that some goal is in our heads, or we wouldn't be participating so
enthusiastically in this discussion, but I can't find it written down
anywhere. This makes me worry that we might all be arguing for and against
strategies at cross purposes. So, why do we need this strategy and what do we
want to achieve with it?

My guess, based on this strategy proposal, would be something like

"ensure openSUSE's future as a popular and growing Operating System by giving
it a clear identity that focuses strongly on one user group"

but it could be

"make the distribution developer-friendly because devs will also improve the
distribution itself, compensating for a relative decline in paid engineering,
and resulting in a quality distribution attractive to a wider range of users"

or it could even just be

"scratch my own open-source itch at a distribution-strategic level to make the
best tools for what I do"

And that's just 3 things 1 contributor came up with in 5 minutes. Can we try
and look a few moves ahead, beyond the outline of a strategy, about how it
could work and what they might deliver over a few years?

Will

[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2010-05/msg00023.html
--
Will Stephenson, KDE Developer, openSUSE Boosters Team