Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 10:15:58 +0100
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy wrote:
That's apples and oranges. When GNOME was selected as the default for
SLED, it wasn't a big deal because *we don't make SLED*. That's not
our product, that's not our community. In this case, we *are* placing
GNOME as a second-class citizen by telling our users to use KDE, not
GNOME. We're being told by our own community that KDE is what we're
going to push on new users
No, because KDE, since the start of the Project, has had the same
billing as GNOME on openSUSE. In addition, it's had a strong backing
as it was the default desktop in SUSE prior to openSUSE. GNOME was
just added as a first-class choice several years ago, and had to build
up it's own community within the project. The fact that GNOME has been
able to survive in a formerly KDE-centric distro project is a
testament to both it's features and it's community. The vocal minority
of KDE users want to throw that away for political reasons.

We all want to move forward together, but certain people wish to make
that 'together' only include KDE users, it seems. Which is not going
to help the Project in any way.

it was precisely because of this perception of 'ill-use' that i argued
time and again last
month that a decision on a default desktop should only be taken IF the
relevant experts
within opensuse decided that a default desktop would provide a net
benefit to the
distribution via increased adoption, and in particular increased
adoption by new users.