[opensuse-project] Conference: Key Signing Party, anyone ?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:16:34 +0200

I believe that we should take the opportunity of meeting in real life to
also organize a key signing party at the openSUSE Conference.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy to coordinate it, which is a bit of work.

Typically, it requires everyone with a GPG/PGP key to send their
fingerprint to the coordinator _before_ the event, and to have their key
on a key server too.

The coordinator then stops accepting key fingerprints a few days before
the event, puts together a list of all the fingerprints along with the
respective name and email address of each person the key belongs to, and
puts that list on the web.

All the participants (who have submitted their key's fingerprint) then
print out that list and bring it with them to the conference.

We'll then have to take an hour or so to check each other's fingerprint
as well as each person's ID (ID, driver license, passport, whatever).

Then, when we're home, we sign the public keys and mark them as trusted
in our keyring, and upload that information to the key servers again.

It would be particularly appropriate to do that at the conference
because it *requires* meeting in real life in order to check the other
persons' identity.

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>