Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: member greenarrow1 <greenarrow1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:55:49 -0700
On 8/27/09, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Christian Jäger <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx> [08-27-09 17:03]:

> My history is Mac --> Windows 3.1 till 2000 --> KDE 3.5 --> GNOME. And
> yes, I try KDE from time to time. Not my cup of tea, but it's fine.
>
> I prefer GNOME but I would never, NEVER have gotten it in my head that
> KDE was 'undeservedly' treated as an equal to my preferred DE because
> _my_ preferred DE isn't defaulted. That's a way of thinking that I
> cannot condone; if find it downright indecent. But well, all of us
> GNOMErs respect the decision to default KDE for 11.2; as dubious as the
> decision-making process might have been,

> but I for one _demand_ that this decision be revisited for 11.3.

I what light, that the more likely choice, normally that which would be
choosen the most often, should not be default or ....

I fail to see a problem and not because I use kde. I am perfectly able
to choose gnome or xfce4 should I fancy, and I frequently do use xfce4
rather than *any* of the others. But I do see reason that xfce4 "should
not" be selected to be the default.

I do know not having a default DE does have an affect on IT
departments choosing a operating system for their desktop computers.
This eliminates another step out of the process or distributing the OS
by having a default. Whether it be GNOME or KDE having a default does
help the distribution of openSUSE.

As posted previously, yes, most users, after using the OS for awhile
start to look around and some do switch or try the alternative DE that
is available.

As I stated previously I am neutral in this as I use both desktops
since I own and operate multiple computers, an yes I also use a MAC
and a Windows system mainly due to the type of business I am in. I do
realize there is pride in developing all 3 DE's but we all must
remember we worked together before and will work together in the
future and the further development of openSUSE should be our main way
to go. I seriously doubt this will deter and slow down the future
developments of all 3 DE's within openSUSE as the past shown we stick
together as a team through hell and high water.

Keep up the great work as all of you are the greatest and we can show
the world that openSUSE will prevail as the best of the best in the
Linux world.

I was present during the wonderment of the kde users when it was
announced that Novell had chosen gnome for the desktop for the sponsored
editions and witnessed the dismay and concern that kde would be dropped.
I believe that, perhaps, you are feeling that same dismay?

Time has shown that kde has *not* been orphaned and the same will prevail
for gnome. The two are much too popular to dissappear.

But lets put aside our concerns and accept that we will move forward
*together* :^)

gud luk,

http://wahoo.no-ip.org
Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2