Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:38:28 -0500
On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 13:13 -0400, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Michael Loeffler<michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Whether intentional or not You (your decision) are in a big way
responsible for the in-fighting.

oh, obviously you haven't noticed the "in-fight" on the ml prior to my
decision. Yes, someone else told me before that perception is pretty
subjective.

Let's cut this here, please. Michael and Sankar, you'll have an
opportunity to sit down and talk at the conference, I'm sure that will
be more productive than continuing this on the mailing list.

And a quick reminder folks: We agree, or I hope we agree, that
openSUSE's goals are to spread Linux and make things fun: This has
been quite the opposite of fun, and anyone turning a eye towards this
list recently would be quite likely to form a very negative opinion of
this community.

This may not have been handled perfectly, but we can and will do
better in the future, but that's the decision we have for now. Sniping
at each other isn't going to get us anywhere.

GNOME and KDE folks - you're on the same side, or ought to be. Our
competition hangs its hat in Redmond and in Cupertino, and if you lose
sight of that, we all lose.

Love and other indoor sports,

Zonker

Just an FYI: Sometimes those "indoor sports" are fun outdoors too. :-)

I agree with much of what Zonker has stated. It's really a good thing
that people feel able to express their feelings and I don't want to
clamp down on that, but now is the time to look at the greater good of
openSUSE.

While the Board did not make an official recommendation pertaining to
the final decision, the board did address that we need to start looking
at ways to build a better coalition amongst ourselves. There may be
multiple desktop environment, but there is only *ONE* Project. And
we'll continue this discussion at the conference for sure.

So let's get back to business for now so we can identify more other
stuff that we need to address at the conference when we all get face to
face.

And Sankar, if you're still coming, I expect you to bring some of that
Idli you always talk about.

--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member